AFRICA LIFE AID PROFILE
Africa Life Aid is a South Sudanese National Organization formed in 2016 and officially registered by the Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (RRC) South Sudan and issued with a registration certificate number 518. Africa Life Aid is a member of the South Sudan NGO Forum and recognized by the UNOCHA as humanitarian agency
The organization is formed by professional South Sudanese who have worked for international organizations, UN Agencies, governmental departments and have over the period developed their experiences in project formulation, planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of both emergency and development programmes.
Africa Life Aid therefore is an organization with vast knowledge on local customs and traditions, livelihood practices and geographical landscape that has direct effect on people’s lifestyles. Africa Life Aid therefore has a;
To support and develop local solutions to chronic challenges in food security and livelihoods, education and protection while enhancing community cohesion.
Walk communities through stages of developing livelihoods.
2. GOALS OF AFRICA LIFE AID
- Provide relief and alleviate suffering of victims of natural and manmade disasters.
- Act within minimum time to respond to disasters, hence minimizing mortality, morbidity and suffering.
- Liaise with other partners and governmental institution to ensure a coordinated response to disasters.
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Through training, establish community awareness in proper agricultural practices.
- Seek to ensure food availability throughout seasons covering the existing hunger gaps through crop diversification.
- Establish appropriate technologies in micro irrigation and support crop production during dry seasons lessening reliance on rain fed crop production.
- Support farmers with proper tools and establishment of seed farms mainly PLW-HIV/Aids who require sustained proper diets.
- Provide extension services to continuously build the capacities of farmers to maximize outputs
- Improve child nutrition through establishment of milking goats to farmers across the country.
- Strive for and promote climatic sensitive / smart agricultural/ industrial activities.
- Campaign to create community awareness on universal child rights including right to education and protection
- Work with existing government institutions, NGOs and UN bodies and stakeholders in establishing policies that are child friendly and protective.
- Support the most vulnerable with education material and assorted protective NFIs especially those in camps, returnees and urban IDPs.
- Promote teacher training through sponsoring locals to established institutions within the region and globally where applicable.
- Support to bolster protection and work in affected communities in light of deteriorating and challenging contexts of child vulnerabilities.
- Support needy learners by establishing bursary kitty for promising but marginalized vulnerable children especially girl child vulnerable to early marriage.
- Support development of educational infrastructure and promoting early childhood education in the country.
- Advocate for zero discrimination for people living with HIV at household and institution levels.
- Support to Sustainability
- Provide water for drinking and agriculture to institutions, villages of return and areas of high potential.
- Liaise with appropriate partners such as WFP to provide food to school children to minimize rates for dropouts.
- Support appropriate sanitation and hygiene in school, homes and public places with special focus on girl child and the physically challenged and other persons with special needs.
- Support household incomes through provision of micro credits and capacity development for women in business and other persons with special needs.
- Carry out activities geared towards environmental protection.
3. SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
In furtherance of the above objectives, we undertake to, inter alia:-
- To initiate/design, develop and implement community-based programmes to increase members’ and communities’ access to opportunities thereby reducing poverty;
- To establish, run and maintain programmes providing valuable information and support to issues affecting directly and/or indirectly women, for example, abortion, reproductive health, Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C), prostitution, gender disparity, economic injustice, domestic violence and other human rights violations;
- To identify, promote and support talent amongst the members and the community in such areas as art, education, music, sport, technology, business and so on;
- To undertake, or cause to be undertaken, within the organization or otherwise in collaboration with other like minded individuals, bodies and organizations research on socio-economic matters relating to the general population;
- To initiate activities and programmes on agriculture and environmental protection, advocacy or participating in policy developments tailored towards sustainable agriculture and environmental protection;
- Design and implement programmes that will help foster entrepreneurship and private sector participation in social-economic development i.e. micro-enterprise development and savings schemes;
- Design and implement programmes that will help facilitate access to financial and business development services by individual members, their families and communities, with special emphasis to women and youth;
- To hold workshops, seminars, conferences, and or run programmes that will address issues such as, and not limited to:-
- Improving the general situations on livelihoods, cultures, art and infrastructure or other matters as may be relevant and appropriate to the membership and or community;
- The guidance and counseling for youth, women or other categories of people affected by drugs, conflicts and other social menace;
- The bridging of the gap between women and their men counterparts on areas like education, socio-economic influences and decision making;
- Fighting HIV/AIDS through awareness campaigns, fighting stigma and discrimination associated with AIDS patients and enhancing the provision of drugs to those who are infected;
- To promote peace, human rights, democracy, understanding and social harmony;
- Generally to do all such other things as are incidental to the attainment of the above objectives or any of them.
- SOURCES OF FUNDING
Africa Life Aid raises money from none political, none allied and any other none discriminative body to fund its activities. Africa Life Aid makes proposals and concept notes and submits them to UN Agencies, International NGOs, private and public foundations, individuals, bilateral governmental bodies etc.
Africa Life Aid subscribes to acceptable best practices in management of funds received and utilizes the same with diligence and submits reports accordingly. Africa Life Aid ensures value for money for all the activities carried out. A financial guideline has been developed for this purpose and where applicable, Africa Life Aid will adopt donors’ prescriptions on utilization of funds.
- GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS OF OPERATION
Africa life Aid is currently actively involved in protection issues in Jubek State and intends to expand its operation to former Western Equatoria State, Greater Lakes and Eastern Equatoria. Africa Life Aid is also ready to provide services to population on move such as IDPs, Returnees among others.
Africa Life Aid is an active member of the following clusters:
- Food Security and Livelihoods.
- Peace Building
- ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY OF AFRICA LIFE AID
Given our activities, Africa Life Aid RECOGNIZES that:
- Human activity can have harmful effects on ecological systems, climate and public health.
- Recognizing this, Africa Life Aid is committed to reducing its environmental footprint and promoting environmental stewardship at all levels of organization.
- Our goal is to minimize our organization’s impact and maximize future generations’ ability to live, work, and play in our shared natural environment, with equal access to clean air, clean water, and natural resources.
Africa Life Aid THEREFORE:
- Strive to identify and purchase environmentally preferable supplies and services for all our daily operational needs and for humanitarian interventions where economically feasible.
- Wherever possible we will strive to minimize pollution and waste, conserve energy and water, protect habitat, support renewable energy resources, utilize environmentally friendly products, and encourage environmentally preferable transportation.
- These efforts will extend to contractor and supplier relationships. We will encourage our contractors and suppliers serving or otherwise acting on behalf of Africa Life Aid to meet our standards of environmental performance.
- Employee understanding and involvement are essential to the implementation of this environmental policy. All employees will receive a copy of this policy and be educated about our organization’s efforts to improve our environmental performance. Employees at all levels of the organization will be involved in supporting our goals.
- Africa Life Aid will comply with all relevant environmental legislation in all its operation sites
A healthy environment benefits everyone, and our commitment to environmental stewardship will be a long-term one.
- THE AFRICA LIFE AID ORGANIZATIONAL CHARTS
The first level of staffing will include the Head of office who provides overall leadership and vision, the three assistants i.e. Head of Programmes and Head of Operation who will supervise the sector managers and equivalent in the administrative line. Head of Liaison and fundraising will initiate and develop a strategic relationship with donor across the board and ensure all donor requirements are complied with.
The second level will be the field level/sector based structure. A field office Manager with a dotted relationship with all heads will lead a project site and will administratively supervise all field / sector officers. However, the sector officers will directly report to the sector manager on technical matters. All Sector Managers will have a roving role in all field sites to coordinate/support all field locations. The emergency coordinator with the head of programmes will initiate responses to emergencies in coordination with relevant sector managers.
Figure 1: Level 1 of Africa Life Aid Structure
Figure 2: Africa Life Aid Generic Field Structure
- OTHER OPERATIONAL DOCUMENTS OF AFRICA LIFE AID
Other documents the provide direction on handling the daily activities and occurrences include:
- Financial and procurement guidelines
- Human resource Policy Manual
- Security Management Manual
- Evacuation Plan
Note that these documents are subject to changing dynamics and law of South Sudan where applicable.
- PHYSICAL ADDRESS
Africa Life Aid office is located at;
HelpAge International / SSOPO Compound,
Ministries Road, Buluk opposite Vivacel Complex
Juba, South Sudan